The delightful medieval town of Soave rises at the foot of the Lessinia Mountains. The town has many medieval characteristics, from the castle to the several palazzos built during that period. The castle dominates the whole territory, and the walls completely enclose the old town. The walls have 24 imposing towers
Soave’s castle is a typical medieval military construction. It is formed by a tall, central tower, around which the castle walls rotate, enclosing three courtyards. Walls then descend from the castle to encircle the town.
Over time, various bitter battles for possession of the castle took place.
In 1517, the town was symbolically given to the representative of Venice Andrea Gritti, who would later be elected Doge. From this moment began a long period of peace, which lasted nearly three centuries, until the arrival of Napoleon in 1796.