A challenging Kayaking adventure from Methoni to the natural monument island of Sapientza
Methoni was the ‘’eye’’ of Venice in the Mediterranean and an important trade and marine center for the Venetians during medieval years. The castle of Methoni is the most impressive fortress in the Peloponnese built in a rock that enters the sea and is separated from the mainland by an artificial moat. Across Methoni, the lush island of Sapienza, integrated into the Natura 2000 network, home to rare species of flora and fauna. Near its coasts, several shipwrecks are lying still visible with goggles and snorkels.
Our trip starts at the beach right in front of Methoni, next to which looms the impressive fortress. Your guide will brief you on paddling techniques, safety measures, and equipment before hopping onto our kayaks for a rather demanding paddling adventure. We glide our kayaks near the imposing walls of the castle which are adorned with impressive arcs and bastions. We travel back in time with pictures taken from the medieval past of the region. Soon we will be crossing the channel between Methoni and Sapienza where many ancient shipwrecks are scattered around. We shall take a chance here to snorkel near the island's rough coast in search of a few visible remains of shipwrecks. Heading south we shall reach the tranquility of the beautiful beach of the island. Here, we rest, swim and sunbath and taste our delicious homemade picnic of local delicacies. The island is a monument of nature covered by a dense, ancient arbutus forest, home of muffle (wild sheep), wild goats (kri- kri), partridges, pheasants, and many other species of which we may be lucky enough to meet them. Once our break is over, we head east paddle exploring the north coast of the island before returning back to the starting point to end a paddling adventure in Methoni and the island of Sapienza.
- Super stable and easy to paddle single or tandem Kayaks with rudder
- Full Sea Kayak equipment: paddle, life jacket, spray-deck, waterproof jacket, waterproof bags
- Snorkeling equipment (goggles & snorkels)
- Land and water-based Sea Kayaking paddling instructions
- British Canoeing (BC) Sea Kayak leaders also holding first aid certificate.
- Eco friendly cultural and educational guiding
- Picnic with freshly baked bread fruits and vegetables, homemade olive oil, and cheese
- Waterproof camera and photographs from the trip
- Liability insurance
- All taxes
- Bottle of water (1,5 litre per person)
- Any specific medication you are on
- Hat or cap
- Short or long sleeve t-shirt (quick dry if available)
- Swimwear or shorts
- Change of dry clothes
- Sea shoes or flip flops or sandals (Avoid bulky shoes, trainers and socks)